I decided to go with poinsettias to quilt the red and green quilt with. I found some that I had in my library from last year. They are simple, but fit the blocks well and add a little texture, but don’t overwhelm the quilt. There are diamond shapes, triangle shapes and square shaped flower blocks. There are also single leaves that fill in the odd HST that doesn’t have a stitch in it. I’m about half way done, the designs don’t take long to stitch out, but there is a lot of stopping and starting.
I can knit a bit while the machine stitches though, I’ve been working on my Oak Cardigan. The back and one front side are finished, the other side needs shaping which requires concentration. I started the sleeves, working two at once, they are a bit mindless, but the shaping starts soon.
Tuesday I was looking for something to do, I wanted to sew something, but all the quilts in my queue are large and involved. Then I found this kit I had bought at PIQF. I really liked it when I saw it there, it’s kinda weird and sewing related, a bit steam punk, victorian and spooky Halloween all together. The fabric line is designed by J. Wecker Frisch, it’s called ‘Costume Makers Ball’ by Riley Blake designs. It took about three hours to cut and sew together, I have some ideas on quilting it too. It’ll be ready for next year for sure.
Yesterday, I had to stick around for plumbing people, I had discovered a water leak in the main line coming into our house last Friday. They are currently digging trench through my yard to lay new pipe. I needed something to do besides vacuuming the house. I have been wanting to make this quilt, Estela.
I have a large scrap pile of red and white French General fabrics that I want to use in it. I spent about an hour sorting though them and categorizing them. I figured out I needed more in pink tones, most of the pieces in the blocks are small, so I ordered a jelly roll of the Chafarcani line. It’ll be here next week. Also starting next week is Frolic, Bonnie Hunters mystery quilt for 2019-20. I’m going to make it, I missed last years project, Good Fortune due to non sewing related activities. Estela may have to wait a month to be started, lots of little pieces and chain piecing.
I did start a new pattern yesterday, this is called Sweet to the Soul by Jillily Studio. I have had the Bee Inspired fabrics (Kate Spain) for a while now. Looking for just the right pattern. Half hexagons and straight piecing make it relatively quick to piece. I decided not to do the bees, They are pieced and appliquéd, and I though they would make the quilt look a bit juvenile. Not to say that I might add one for interest.
Linking up with Denise at For the Love of Geese for Put your Foot Down #27 today.
2 thoughts on “Poinsettias and Pumpkins”
You have some awesome projects on the go. I especially love the last two. Looking forward to see them grow. ;^)
Thanks, I hope to get them started and most importantly, finished soon.
Comments are closed.