I posted about these quilts earlier this week, Quilting the quilts . I wanted to add a little commentary to each one, for the May 5th link up.
These quilts went to Jacks basket. The pink gingham one I originally made for a baby girl who was born recently. I decided not to send it to the parents, as I felt, sadly, it wouldn’t be used or enjoyed by them. I felt better about sending it to Jack’s basket, I know it will be appreciated and given to a child that will also. The backing is Cuddle/minky and super soft. I quilted this one with a fresh daisy panto. The bright yellow quilt was made from the scraps of the larger one I made from a pattern “Triple Twenty” by Doug Leko at Antler Quilt design. I used 2 ½ inch strips instead of the 3 ½ as the pattern calls for and made pinwheels for the feature blocks. The backing matches the fabric I used for the outer border of the larger yellow quilt. The quilt came out smaller and a good crib size, I quilted it with a baptist fan motif.
These quilts went to Quilty Hugs. The one on the left was a mystery quilt I made a few years ago. I used a bunch of fabric from the “Catkin” line by Julie Paschkis. Once I finished the top, I realized that the borders were wavy and put it in the closet to rest. Last summer I pulled it out and fixed the borders and got it on the frame to quilt it. I practiced using the software on my automated system. I was able to place quilted motifs and did some free hand stuff in the sashing. I then folded it up and put it back in the closet. I came across it earlier this year, all it needed was a binding and off it went to Quilty Hugs. The quilt on the right is one of Sarah’s of Confessions of a fabric addict Rockin’ Rectangle quilts called “Place your Bets”. A quick and easy quilt to make, and I had two charm packs of a cute space themed fabric. This one was quilted with a rocket and star pantograph. I hope an aspiring young astronaut gets it.
These two quilts went to Merciful Quilts. Both were made with the Triple Twenty pattern. They were easy and pretty quick to make up, the blocks are large rectangles. The one on the left was made from stash fabrics and a 7 fat quarter pack of asian themed fabrics. I did have to buy a yard of red kona cotton to finish it off. The backing was a dark green print I had in stash too. I quilted it with a swirl and leaf panto, that was just enough to give it a little texture, the prints were busy enough. The quilt on the right was also a pack of 20 Fat quarters, all bright oranges, reds and pinks. The borders and white geese came from stash. The backing on this one is a news print clipping print that has positive messages about love and life. This one is also quilted with a baptist fan, but a larger size than the smaller matching quilt above.
Hope you were inspired to make a quilt or two for the Hands2Help challenge too.
Linking with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict today, check out what everyone else is doing.