Which is a better skill for a quilter to have, the ability to count accurately or to measure accurately? Both would be ideal, but lately I have been slackening on the counting skill. Yesterday I was happily sewing the 34 blocks for the Unity quilt together. I had carefully counted out the pieces needed (816), as my supply of French General fabrics is dwindling (yay!). Each block has 16 pieces, 8 of which are HSTs and 8 solids. I have been counting these piles over and over since Monday, when I started this clue. 126, 68, 34 were the magic numbers, until I got down to the 34 blocks. After I finished sewing and ironing them, I counted them, 30 – wrong answer. I separated them into piles, 10 – 10 – 10- and 3. Better but still missing one, looked around, on the floor, design wall, my chair, nope, only 33. I set about making one more, it went together pretty quickly. Then I started sewing the rows together, 2 rows of 8 blocks and 2 rows of 9 blocks. Wouldn’t you know, I had one extra? I got them sewn up to the main body of the quilt today.
I am still kinda struggling with the rental machine, it’s a great little machine, hums along and makes nice stitches. I think it would be one to bring on a retreat. But, sigh, yesterday I sewed a seam with out bobbin thread. No bobbin thread sensor. I am still struggling with the knee lift, I still stop sewing and wait for the presser foot to raise, not a function. Mostly I miss the even feed, especially when easing seams together.
I have two more quilts to get on the long arm, and one to get binding on, and I am done with the Hands 2 Help quilts. That’ll be my weekend project, and then I may pull out an UFO and see if I can finish it. Or… there is the commissioned wedding quilt for September. Options are good 😁
Linking up with Denise at For the Love of Geese Put your foot down #51 today, check out her photo trip through her part of the world.