I worked on fixing the Mrs. Miller’s Apprentice quilt top this weekend. Last week I ripped out most of the stitching that connected the columns together, I was able to leave the webbing connections in most of the rows. So I wasn’t really taking the whole thing apart. I spread it out on a spare bed, that way I could clearly see all the mis-placed blocks. I then stuck bright yellow headed pins in each block that needed to be switched out. You may recall from a previous post that I made a mistake of not using the correct blue and tan squares because they were made from really similar fabric prints. Bending over the bed to un-pick the blocks wasn’t the best thing for my back, but I think it was easier to see the top as a whole than having it on my design wall where I can only see about 2/3rds of it at one time. I would pick a block, un-stitch it and put it where it should go, un-stitch the block that was in that spot and pin the correct one in. I checked the layout four times to make sure every block was in it’s spot. Then I sewed the row parts and columns back together. Big sigh.
Okay, now onto the four borders. Two plain narrow ones, one pieced and one wide outer border. Since this is a BOM, I had limited fabric, I think it’s still available, but not widely. The pieced border first, as I wanted to make sure I had enough to do all 88 split cats cradle blocks, ugh. I wish I had been able to make these throughout the whole preceding year. Instead, each month, I was instructed to cut four blue squares and put them aside. This pattern uses the “sew two diagonal seams a square and cut in between on the diagonal” method to make half square triangles. Not the way I like to make HSTs, I’ll use my EZ-angle thank you.
I made the 88 HSTs and got them sewn to rectangles, then put two together. Next I sewed them to contrasting rectangles, then cut them apart. Pam Buda, the pattern designer came up with this technique. She doesn’t have a web tutorial, but sells it as part of one of her books. I googled it, and found that Creative grids makes a Cats cradle specialty ruler for the blocks. The ruler uses this same technique as I used, but it’s a bit more accurate. I might want to get one.
I spent a few hours yesterday assembling the top. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but the quilt blocks are 6 inches finished and the Cats Cradle blocks are 3 inches finished. I left the final border for today, it’s a simple 6 inch wide one, I think some swirling feathers might be called for on it.
Linking up with Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday.
5 thoughts on “Missus Miller”
It looks wonderful. I do not like unstitching.
I just put my head down and do it, otherwise it would be another addition to the UFO pile.
Wow! What a gorgeous quilt. I love the fabrics you’ve used. Great border, too.
Thanks, the blues are so nice. I can’t take credit for the fabric choices, this was a block of the month for 2019. It uses the line “Mrs. Millers Apprentice” by Marcus Fabrics. I think its still available, if you’re looking 🙂
I love blue and white quilts and your is so pretty! I like the setting and have made note of it to use on some BOM squares I have in a UFO. Pam Buda’s quilts are so great. Glad, after all of your work, that you are keeping this one. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy
Comments are closed.