Another week is gone by in the current SIP situation. I have one complete finish and one top almost done, but for the borders. And I am going to start Bonnie Hunters “Unity” quilt. I picked out a bunch of fabric that just happened to be near my sewing table. The scraps from the Estella quilt seem to be a good amount from which to work. Bonnies colors are blue, red and aqua. Mine are going to be red, tan and pink.
I kinda wanted to do the Laundry Basket Quilt’s QAL, but it’s almost half way done and I don’t want to rush to catch up. I’m saving the pattern for next week when I’ll have nothing to do. Ha Ha, like that’ll ever happen. I haven’t been over to the long-arm in a few days. I might go in today, and spray everything down with lysol. We had a guest stay over in there, and I doubt he was infected, but better safe than sorry.
In the almost finished category is the Gloriana’s Dream quilt, which still needs a better name. It kinda looks Spanish/Moorish to me, like tiles or wood carving, not very dreamy. I got the center together, on point placement, so I didn’t web it. I have to cut off all the squares that are protruding from the edges, then add borders. They are just the red print, I may miter them, just for fun.
My finish this weekend was the binding on my Frolic quilt. I changed the sheets on my bed and also changed out the current quilt for extra credit. It’s bright and cheery, doesn’t really match my bedroom, but I don’t mind. I used Warm and Plush batting, it is a bit heavier than the regular Warm and Natural cotton I use. My newest roll is Hobbs 80/20, we’ll have to see how I like it.
Finally, I was reading FB the other day and someone was applying binding to a quilt and had their miter join come up exactly on the edge point of the quilt. I can relate to this, as it used to happen to me frequently. It’s very difficult to make a nice looking corner if all that joining seam is inside it. What I do now is, before I start sewing the binding on, I find the first seam join, then I place it with a clip six or eight inches after the first corner. This way the first corner is sure not to have a join on it, then I place the rest of the binding on the edge until I have a six inch tail, (for joining later) and start stitching. About 90% of the time this ensures that the rest of the corners will be seam free. I does happen though if I use strips that are of various lengths, but it’s pretty reliable when I use 40 inch (WoF) strips.
The orange clip is where the first join is and the red is at the first corner. Hope this is some help.
Linking up with Judy at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday today.