I’m thinking abut joining Judy at Patchwork times for a UFO Challenge. I don’t think I have that many (12) we’ll see. I’ll list them here and if I can figure out how to make a tab for them, I’ll list them there too.
From oldest to newest:
- Blue throw finish piecing etc.
- Guatemalan fabric finish piecing etc.
- Dragon quilt finish quilting embellishing etc.
- Garden Sampler needs quilting/binding
- Bertie’s year needs quilting/binding
- Catkin mystery needs quilting/binding
- 365 Batik block quilt 270 blocks to go…
- Coxcomb Medallion needs quilting/binding
- Fire Island Hosta needs quilting/binding
- Rubies Diamonds and Garnets needs quilting/binding
- Shelia needs quilting/binding
- Growing up Odd needs quilting/binding
- Farmers Wife needs sashing, quilting/binding
Hmm, thats 13, I’m not including three current projects of Gravity, Fancy Forest and En Provence, nor the two kits I have waiting to start. The 365 Batik Quilt is a block a day quilt that I started last January. I think I should do a bit of it every month to finish it. I could probably find one or two more if I dig really deep into the cabinet of stuff. The first one listed is at least ten years old, the last, Farmers wife, I finished the blocks this past September. Most just need quilting/binding, now that I am done with the craft fair items and stock quilts for my “coming soon” Etsy store I’ll have more time to quilt them. I think I’ll post photos when or as they are done.
Well, it was Friday and Saturday. Friday I was looking through my patterns and saw “Gazebo” by JayBird Quilts. It is a table topper made from half hexagons and triangles. I thought I would be cute in Christmas fabrics, I still have a bunch from the Cloud Nine line that came out in 2015. I started with one and ended with three. I like the way the pattern makes it look like the pieces are woven over and under. Did I mention there are no Y seams? I think I am done with Y seams, for the year, after completing the hexagon flower quilt.
The weather outside Saturday was frightful, it rained all day. I was looking around my sewing room for something to do, when I spied a 1 ½ inch wide pile of strips. I bought them last year, on sale, to make a “Northern Lights” mini quilt a la JayBird Quilts. I got the pattern out and started cutting and piecing and then it was done. Pretty nice, I am debating about putting it on the frame to quilt.
Then I came up with an idea to make quilts suitable for certain 18″ dolls. I am doing another local art/craft sale on the 22nd and I thought, since its so close to the holiday and people seem reluctant to buy large quilts, they’ll buy small ones. I got out the 30’s fabrics, I have a few charm packs left, there was lots of variety to be had. I cut and chain pieced, cut some more and pieced a bit more to come up with three quilt tops. They measure about 18 x 21 inches. I was pleased with the results, a disappearing nine patch, a postage stamp, and a 1000 pyramid, cheerful and fun. They would all fit nicely on the frame, in a row. I bet the Northern Lights top could squeeze in too.
Being in a mini state of mind I pulled out my purple stash drawer and was going to pull fabrics for the 3rd clue from En Provence. Not much purple to be had, after “Easy Street” I guess I haven’t bought much in that hue. Plus I wanted red-purples and I have a thing for blue purples. Shopping was initiated and a few yards were purchased, hope they get here before Friday.
Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.
For the past six years I have participated in Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville mystery. Each year I would make my own challenge to go with the mystery. The first few years my challenge was to use her techniques and keep up with the group. The next few years I challenged myself to use her color ways and only my stash. Sometimes I really didn’t like the color ways chosen, but I persevered and ended up liking the resulting quilt. When this years color way was announced I thought it was nice but not what I really wanted to work with. I thought that it would be my challenge this year to use my own color way. Then I found this pretty magenta print for my constant and pulled solids for the rest of the quilt. The first clue came out and it was for neutral 4 patches. I started to rethink my color way, thought it was boring and that the resulting quilt would be flat. Then someone on the Quiltville Yahoo group started a thread about making it in half size. Now that would be a challenge for me. I would follow Bonnies color way, but half size it. Funny thing is that even though the pieces are smaller, they take just as much time to cut and sew together.
Here is my triangle in a square, it is 2 inches unfinished. Bonnies are 3 ½ inches unfinished. I have 40 done so far, I’ll finish them up later this week. The 221 neutral four patches are cute as well. The En Provence mystery is on her blog Quiltville’s Quips and Snips!!
I have been quilting and binding the last three quilts I made for the Craft faire tomorrow. The Sprinkles quilt came out pretty cute, I used a pantograph of circles and a poly batting. Used up the last of the 2 ½ inch strips of 30’s fabric for the binding.
I am looking forward to making quilts for me again in the coming weeks. This last month I have really been pushing myself the finish the for-sale quilts. I have been learning all the new things that my computerized quilter can do. Today was the first day in 10 days I didn’t quilt on it. I have 32 quilts to bring with me to the Faire – hope to sell a few!
I am going to finish my Gravity and Fancy Forest quilts along with the Farmers Wife quilt in the new year, plus En Provence. So much for not being busy.