I started on this project this past weekend. The pattern, by Thimbleblossoms is called “Piccadilly Circus” and I’m using a kit made from the Moda fabric line called “Purebred”. It started out easy enough, sew four strips together, iron the seams and then cut using template. Place the template small side down to cut six striped fan blades and discard the remaining triangles.
Wait! that’s such a waste of fabric, what can I do with those six triangles? I got my EZ Dresden ruler out and cut them into smaller fans. Now I have plates that have 12 large blades and plates that have 21 smaller blades. Much better, two blocks for the price of one.
On the design wall today is my completed “Butterflies are Free” quilt top. It was asking for a border, I used up the majority of the left overs from the fat quarter pack I used for the butterfly wings. Its bright and colorful, like a fall day.
Lastly from the sewing room, I did get four of the six quilts I had to bind, bound.
I am on the last row of pantograph for the Generally French quilt, so that will join the “to be bound” pile later this week. It’s a big quilt, 108 x 108, I like the way it is turning out, simple but graphic. Pictures next week.
Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.
2 thoughts on “2 from 1 Dresden Plates”
Great idea for the leftover pieces of the blades. I hate to waste fabric too.
Very clever use of your Dresden fabrics. Both turned out so nicely. Love your butterflies, too.
Comments are closed.