I have not put up a design wall yet. I would like one, really, I need one. But I’m afraid my idea for hanging a piece of flannel from a curtain rod just won’t be feasible. I keep picturing the blocks falling off the (wavey) flannel unless they are pinned on. Other ideas I’m working through include velcro-ing a flannel backed table cloth to the closest door. Small but it may work out. I don’t have enough room for a collapsable type wall, and putting it in another room would mean getting up and walking across the hall in order to adjust or add to it. Although, once DS goes back to school, I may get my flannel covered pink insulation boards out and hang them in his room. We’ll see. Here’s what is on my design table this week.
I saw this quilt on Pinterest, done in French General prints (Moda) reds, beige, and off- white four patches and solid squares. I fired up my old PC and used EQ7 to draft this simple pattern. I had two small fat quarter packs of French General plus some yardage and a few other pieces in my stash of reds that coordinated well. There are 576 four inch squares that make up this top, I’m about half way done. The four squares are lined up on the diagonal by combination, so some block/fabric combos I needed 24 of others only 5. I guess it could be done as “scrappy” but what attracted me to it was the uniformity of the rows, how they sort of blend but also have a definite pattern. Plus I could bust some stash.
In quilt finishes this past week, I was productive. Got El Camino off the frame and into the binding pile (see previous post) and quilted the second baby quilt “Daybreak” for the July baby due at my DH’s office. The twins aren’t due until October, so I have time, and I don’t know if they are boy and/or girls yet.
I used a pretty teal Minkee on the back, so soft and cuddly. I also used the scraps from the top to bind it by machine.
I quilted my BlackBird quilt too. It’s from a pattern by Lorna McMahon at Sew fresh Quilts. I’m calling mine “There’s one in Every Crow(d)”. I pulled the backing from my stash and placed the extra crow on the back. There are 43 birds in this quilt, which coincides with my lucky number, so it’s a lucky quilt! I still have to bind it, maybe later today.
Lastly in the finished pile are my Farmers Wife Blocks. I forgot to post last weeks blocks, here are all four; Patience, Patricia, Peony, and Pharlemia. The Peony block is one of my favorites, lots of pieces, partial seams and even Y seams all in a 6 ½ inch block, challenging. 82 blocks done and 17 more to go, Yay!
I’m linking up with Judy today at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.
Thanks for reading!