The first block is made. I finished all the component parts yesterday and had to put one together before quitting for the day. I decided to press most of the joining seams open, as the junctions where the points meet were eight layers thick in places, all those points. Not needle friendly. Pressing them open does create some shadowing, but there is no red under white, so its not too noticeable, I think using off white batting might help too. I hope to get a few rows put together today and this weekend, finish top by monday? Might be a push, we’ll see.
In other news, I am plugging along in the #FW1930sQAL (1930’s Farmers wife). I made the next two blocks, Ann and Alice. These are paper pieced, I found some artist’s tracing paper and ran it through the printer. The papers were much easier to remove, and sew through, plus they are see-through lining up seam allowances is a breeze. I have to remember to pick up another pad next time I’m in that craft store. The Alice block took about two hours to piece, mind you these blocks are 6 inches finished. But the finish was worth it, Ann was a breeze compared to her.
If you’re interested in joining this QAL its at Verykerryberry, there is another one starting next week, the 28th, at GnomeAngel. Join the fun, I wasn’t sure I would like working with 1930’s prints, but they sort of grow on you, they’re happy and bright.
I’m linking up with Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for “Can I get a Whoop Whoop” . She has a very well done photo memory quilt she made for a lucky guy.
2 thoughts on “Storm progressing”
I love the red and white block! I always worry about the red bleeding, but also would take the chance! (after lots of pre-washing)!
Love your Storm at Sea! I’m getting ready to start one this fall and am glad for the tip to press seams open.
Comments are closed.