Quilted and Bound. Done. Yay!

Amish With a Twist ll 105

Amish With a Twist ll 105″ x 105″

I finished my Amish with a Twist ll today.  I started it as a BOM in the beginning of 2013 and steadily worked on it month by month.  Then it sat in the TBQ drawer for a few months while I thought about quilting designs.  I ended up using some Panto’s for the borders and some purchased pounce stencils.  I made my own chalk stencils out of thin paper by drawing out the design then piercing the lines with a large size needle.  It worked pretty well, enough so there is continuity between the design repeats and sizes. I used a bunch of different templates and rulers too.  A few of my favorite blocks:

IMG_1028 IMG_1029 IMG_1033 IMG_1030 IMG_1032

I used Warm and Natural cotton batting and a pretty print called Ambrosia, by Blank Quilting, on the back. Threads include Kimono silk for the outer borders, and center feathers, light grey Magnifico for most of the quilting, some variegated green poly thread, with Bottom line in the bobbin.  This is also one of the last quilts I did on my Tin Lizzie.

I’m linking up today with Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Pinkdoxies Pet Projects show.  YAY ME!

Fire Island Hosta Done

Phew.  I feel like I accomplished something.  I finished the center on Wednesday and added the borders over the weekend.

FIH center          FIH with borders

I had a small mishap while sewing the last curved seam.  I pinned the seam together with a pin every inch or so, to keep the curve, match the points and intersections.  As I neared the center, carefully pulling pins as I got to them, I dropped one right into one of the screw holes to the right of the needle.  It was as if it got sucked right in.  I immediately stopped sewing, needle up, foot up and turned the machine off.  After pulling the bobbin and case out I still couldn’t see it.  I then tried, gently, leaning the machine forward and back, but still nothing.  Well, it was early enough in the day that I could bring it over to my dealer.  Thankfully the tech was there and he was able to take the free-arm cover off and retrieve the pin.  They said it probably wouldn’t have hurt anything, but I wasn’t taking any chances. Back home I went to finish the seam. But, before I started sewing I put a small sticky dot over the hole, just in case.

Sticky dot

Next project up is “Postcards from Sweden”  a free pattern from Robert Kaufman. http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/postcards_from_sweden/

The Kona fabrics came in the post Thursday, yay!  I got the 5 inch wide rolls, so cutting squares was simple, then I cut them into triangles.  The difficult part was laying them all out on the table in proper sequence, there are 36 different colors.  The pattern was a graph/map with numbers and such.  I managed to get lost only once, but I found using a sticky note on the graph to keep my place helped.  Also laying out all my triangles, in a box, in numerical order, helped too.  This is a quick quilt top to make, once you get it all laid out.  Just 180 5″ HST.

Postcards from Sweden                                  box of triangles

Im linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times and Pink Doxies Pink Doxies this week.

On the Design Wall/Floor

This is the “Fire Island Hosta” pattern by Judy Neimeyer.Fire Island HostaI have been working on it for about 3 weeks now.  I chose the same (mostly) color way as the large queen size version, but I’m doing the 74 x 74 inch version.  I’m at the last part now, putting all the sections together.  This is one of those projects that just plods along for a while and then you have the last four seams to sew, and you’re done.  I used 13 different batik fabrics for this, only a few from my stash, shopping was fun.  I found if I used the same Robert Kaufman batik color number called for in the pattern, I could find a batik with patterning I liked and I knew the shading would match.

My sewing room looks like a phone book exploded.  There are tiny pieces of newsprint all over the floor and tables.  I haven’t even taken most of it off yet.  The last Neimeyer quilt I did, was the Wedding Star pattern.  I ended up sitting on edge of a dry bath tub and throwing the pieces in as I removed them.  It was simple to clean up the contained mess.  This pattern is easy to follow, lots of diagrams and clear instructions, not for beginners though.

This is my first link up as a blogger, on Judy’s Patchwork times.